Monday, December 5, 2011

Spoiler Alert: This post includes a birthday party!


Colleen working vigilantly on her posts.




The good thing about a long layover is that even without a computer, I have time to catch up on writing my blog posts and so can Colleen!



 So here goes, my post on my school-sponsored trip to Vienna, Austria. 



Yeah, its cold...

Although Colleen also visited Vienna with Jess and Maria, they pulled a Palin and went rogue. Respect. Our first day in Vienna was just like the bus ride- too cold. Our pit stop on the way was some place filled with medieval wizards, wonder and was just plain weird. Fortunately and unfortunately no pictures were taken to document this…err…unique establishment.


Wearing the Wien Hat!

After the shock from all the dragons we saw had burned off, we saw the coolest apartment complex ever, which was apparently really cheap to live in. Ella, Kylie and I bought super touristy Vienna hats with earflaps. These hats proved to be absolutely instrumental to the subsequent day’s fun.
We had free time that day and had the worst tour ever (I guess that’s what happens when you don’t go with Sandeman’s New Europe). The Christmas decorations raised our spirits, but this was not enough to counteract the terrible tour.


Gosser's beer is awesome!

Immediately after the tour, we ran for some hot drinks. I was not a fan of the Viennese coffee, which was kind of a disappointment. But that night we went out to try the local brews. Pretty good, if you ask me. I have a sweet glass from one of my favorites to commemorate the occasion.
Someone could have benefited from a sweater...

The next day we went to the market, and I purchased an epic sweater. You’ll see it soon, as I am wearing it here in the UK. (Yes, I knew you were dying to see it and could therefore not wait until the end of this month. Stop panicking, please.) Kylie haggled for us to get the sweaters for 35 euro (don’t freak out, mom!), down from 70. Quite the bargainer.

After that, we got a beer to celebrate our fine purchases. In our search for lunch and another drink, a jolly Viennese man invited Kylie and I to his birthday party with free drinks and food. Yes, please.
Since Kylie hasn't sent me her pictures yet, here's another gem of Chelsea!

The man was the owner of the bar and was a fine admirer of our hats (yes, we wore them the very next day). It turns out that in Vienna, when you want to say something is really great, you add an un- to the beginning of the word, so one of the party-goers kept saying things were unincredible. He knew it was incorrect, but we laughed about it a lot anyway. We experienced an unincredible traditional Viennese birthday and made some friends, but made a mad dash for our hostel when they suggested clubbing (sorry fellas!)



The next day we saw about seven floors of modern art, including a 4,000-minute movie with a pretty jazzy soundtrack (we didn’t have 3 days to watch the whole thing. Math courtesy of Ella).

Kylie, Ella and I got a great lunch (tofu, I missed you) and took another look around the biggest Christmas market in Vienna. Kylie bought a rabbit hat, so she could join Colleen and I’s animal hat fun. We also discovered an L.A. store for party people.
Ella can party with a cast!
Awesome, but I think I’m going to stick with the real thing.

Anyway, that was Vienna! Only one more trip to post about and then Joanna’s visit! Also, I'd like to apologize about the lack of pictures. I'm going to put more up on this post in a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment